Identity, Vision and Mission
Vision: “An informed and pastorally oriented Catholic Community of the Archdiocese of Gulu”.
Goal: To strengthen Social Communications Department and networking with all the stakeholders within the Archdiocese of Gulu, GEPCO/GANAL and the whole Nation for effective service delivery.
Highlights or Major Activities/Events
• Full participation in the annual rotational Communications week in various the dioceses of Uganda.
• Participated in the coverage of various Archdiocesan events: ordination of Deacons, Profession of the Religious Sisters, Provincial Peace Week etc.
• Organized and fully covered Pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Blessed Martyrs Daudi Okello and Jildo Irwa at Wi-polo annually on 20th October. SC provided Public Address System to cover the event. Live broadcast was done by Radio Maria Uganda Gulu Substation. • Contributed articles to the National Catholic Online Magazine: The New Contact
• Continued to coordinate various media institutions within the Archdiocese of Gulu e.g. Bosco Uganda, Radio Maria, Radio Pacis Gulu etc.
• Fully participated in GEPCO (Gulu Ecclesiastical Province Communications Organization – GANAL) Meetings and other activities within the Province
• Organized and fully participated in the quarterly Archdiocesan Communications Commission Meetings
• Fully involved in the preparation and celebration of the third Synod of the Archdiocese with the theme: The Vocation and Mission of the Family in the Church and in the Archdiocese of Gulu.
• Stability of the Coordinator (8 years)
• SC Commission in place for Policy support
• Conducive environment: prevailing peace after the past long insurgency
• Available human resource – youth
• Wonderful Provincial programs: Prayer Peace Week, Pilgrimage
• Lack of regular meetings: staff and SCC
• Poor reading culture crippling Archdiocesan Newsletter production
• Paternalistic attitude of the community leading to laziness and poor financial support to the Church
• Inadequate use of available Public Address System for income generation
• Various available media houses and resources within the Archdiocese
• Openings for projects proposal writings for funding
• Cooperative Ordinary of the Archdiocese
• PRDP and NUSAF in the region
• Possibility of online Newsletter production
• High Staff turnover (e.g. 2011 Alphonse, 2013 Tony, 2014 Ronald, Sr. Catherine 2015)
• Inadequate finance
• Failure to produce Newsletter so far
• Lack of a proper means of transport
• Coordinator still overloaded and travelling long distance to office daily
• Lack of cooperation from some pastoral agents e.g. Parish Priests – financial contribution to SC and Radio Maria
• Inadequate office space at Caritas building